Week 1
Week 1
Breaking up is hard to do. Breaking up with a love, a friend or in my case- SUGAR.
Sugar and I have been BFF's for as long as I can remember. I'd still love to have an ice cold Coca-Cola but I am coming to terms with saying goodbye. Here's how week 1 went down. The good, the bad and the results..
The Good:
Ketogenic (Keto) diet has been around for a long time. This diet puts your body into Ketosis. Ketoa is is the metabolic state where the body converts fat stores into energy, releasing ketones in the process.
It's a low carb, high fat diet that offers many healthy benefits. It's a powerful weight loss plan, helps with Type 2 Diabetes by stabilizing blood sugar, fights against epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease and cancer. Keto diet is similar to the Atkins Diet but focus is more on fats than protein. There a TONS of websites and Pinterest to go into further detail how Keto diet works. I've spent hours on Pinterest searching and there are thousands of websites to provide endless amounts of information about ketosis and the keto diet.
Here's a few:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
The Bad:
The Keto Flu aka the headache from hell. Keto flu happens while your body is going through sugar withdrawal and switching over to using fat for energy verses carbs. . I have read many blogs and websites that claim you can prevent this from happening. I had a headache from hell headache for 3 days. I felt tired (sometimes exhausted), grumpy and irritable. Towards the end of the week, I have began to feel more like myself. Some of the fatigue, I do take in to consideration that I had almost no caffeine all week also. Since all the caffeine I was drinking before had tons of sugar, it was hard to drink coffee black and unsweetened tea. I am adjusting though. You can have coffee with heavy whipping cream and tea with stevia on Keto. I'm not a fan of stevia so I might give whipping cream a try.
Now for the TMI- let's talk about BM's, body changes and odors. Websites say don't trust a keto fart and that's no joke. It seems that most people experience constipation or diarrhea. For me, diarrhea is an understatement. This happened after day 5. Without going into details, let's just say- I had to stay close to the bathroom for a hot minute.
Body changes & odors- I have noticed that my urine is quite stinky and I pee a lot (could be due to the amount of water I'm consuming). Keto breath is a thing, I chew gum constantly or have mints.
Hopefully my body will start to normalize and some of these side effects will get better.
The Results:
Week 1 was a success. I maintained staying in ketosis all week (I bought the urine strips). I didn't cheat at all. And I lost 8 lbs! What!! I know right! 8lbs! I had forgotten to take my picture & measurements before I started so I will post inches next week. I'm pretty stoked about the loss. I know it's mostly water weight this week but I'll take it.
Goals for week 2:
1. Stick to the program, calorie count and macro count
2. Keep calories close to 1200
3. Get 30 minutes of exercise daily
4. Continue to increase water intake
5. STAY FAR AWAY FROM HALLOWEEN CANDY!
If you're new to Keto like me, let me know. We can rock keto together!
Starting weight: 198
Current weight: 190
Goal weight: 130
60lbs to go!
Comments
Post a Comment